Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Expectation...

Kids riding their bikes with Slurpies in their hands, mums walking dogs, cars being washed, front lawns being mowed, kids playing cricket in the street. This what I saw looking out my living room window yesterday. Funny. Seasons are funny. Not 5 months ago I was living in a crazy Asian city on the 13th floor of a high-rise apartment looking out over bustling Hong Kong, about 5 buildings within a stones throw of all my windows…insert 5 months by a lake, and now I’m back to my childhood again. I agree, this nomadic lifestyle it’s not for everyone, but for me – love seasons.


Crisp early morning walk the other morning. Luffly.

Have had a few full on past few weeks. Internship is half way through now. CANNOT believe it. It’s been the most amazing 5 months though – challenging, stretching, humbling, inspiring, rewarding and so so much fun. And it really has taken that whole “age is a state of mind” to a new level. It’s interesting…coming into Internship…and the majority of Interns a great chunk younger than me…I guess I kind of wondered how it would work out ☺ But…I am actually in awe of their maturity, level of understanding and knowledge at such a young age. I can see such great things in all of them…powerful. ”A chosen generation, a Holy nation…” (1 Peter 5:9)


Ah ma girls:)


Intern girls la...

So I’m rapt with the amount of catch ups of late - makes me very happy indeed. I HATE not being able to see my friends lots☹ so it's been good cos lately I've seen them lots:) Dinner with Kel, Kel & GG the other week was delish – wedding plans coming along very nicely!! Kazzy when she was here…Janey and her gorg John from KL – wish we could’ve had more play time…LOTS of coffees & car shopping with Marcus…fun fun he he. Got dinner with Jess tom night too which I am VERY excited about!!!!


Me & Kaz playing the other week...


This is Morgan. Jodie's little munchkin. Could she BE any CUTER:)

So rewind back a few weekends. Picture this. 600 over-energised and passionate kids on a campsite in Phillip Island – add a flying fox and giant swing over 50ft high and you pretty much have craziness in a bottle all ready to unleash. Boom Camp. Brought back so many memories of camps I’d been on, hot chocolates and Scotch Finger biscuits for supper, ugh boots with EVERY outfit for the entire weekend no matter if it matches or not, and ski jackets lookin hot and getting a great workout in the icy weather. The Friday night and Sat morning sessions were amazing, although nothing could top the Sat night partayyy that went down. Now I have been inside many a nightclub in my time, and let me just say that NONE of them could ever produce the raw energy and atmosphere that went on in that room that night. It was crazy. So incredible to see these kids so unbelievably excited by a God that created their universe, with the knowledge that He can fulfill their every need. So filled with purpose and sure of themselves. No insecurities and full of freedom. Something which is lacking in so many kids today.




Yup. I found my calling.

So I came away feeling really proud. That I am blessed to be a part of this awesome ministry. The values and culture of Planetshakers, the leadership, the mantle that is over this church – it is unbelievable. And I wake up everyday and pinch myself to make sure I’m really here☺

I will never ever forget my past, it’s made me who I am, my school years, awesome friendships, my hilarious backpacker adventures, studies, and of course the instrumental time in Hong Kong, but God is doing something in me here at Planetshakers that I would have never thought possible.


Dinner with Kel, Kel & GG


Car shopping with Marcus

I remember the first time I went to Hong Kong, to sing, I was in my apartment one night. I was just hanging at home, and I suddenly stopped what I was doing. Something inside me just felt so empty inside. I was like “what am I doing?” Here I was in a different country, doing something I always wanted to do, yet it wasn’t satisfying me. I was trying to work it out in my head, cos everything else added up. So what else did I need? It was driving me insane cos at that time I remembered my family and their constant prayers and invites to church, which made me even more frustrated, cos I just didn’t want a bar of God.

Anyway, clearly I wasn’t saved, but something in me wanted to listen to some gospel music. JB (my bro) had given me a Planetshakers CD before I’d left, so I put it on. I still remember that moment (and this totally makes me laugh) cos I REMEMBER feeling something in my spirit, and thinking…”there is ‘something’ about this God”. But being my stubborn self I ignored it and went back to my life as if nothing had happened. Little did I know that I would leave and come back to HK completely changed, then 3 years down the track I would be back living in Oz serving in that very same church.




Katie & me chillin' by the lake

Just been looking at photos of my 10 year high school reunion. I love school reunions. So American. Ha ha. Well not really. But you know, love those cheesy movies. I wasn’t actually there for mine cos I was in HK, but it’s freaky seeing pics of everyone all grown up☺ I can't believe it’s now been 11 years. Wow. I was teaching one of my little students this afternoon thinking…wow…imagine what it would be like to be in Grade 4 again. I was just sitting there while he was writing, thinking about his life and all that is ahead of him, and picturing him like all grown up and at uni…and then he finished his essay and I was like “oh, ok, um, woops – sorry…back to English lesson…”

So yeah, I am loving the amount of people I am still in contact with…from over the years☺


Kel, Tari, Pen & last Christmas Eve:)


Out for dinner the other night with church gang...


Mmmmm wigs...


Chillin at the Vine in HK


Crazy HK chicks


Psycho sisters

Matty Cook. HAVE to give your up and coming webdesign/DVD production company a personal plug. I am prophesying…you guys are gonna come back here and make a packet!!! Thank you for your pressent! I loved the DVD you made of my going away party – lay ho chong meng ah…ho ging ah!!! Doche doche!!! Miss you guys.

So I had dinner on Lygon St the night – AKA Little Italy, or BIG Italy actually, it’s massive! Let me just say they were a “tad” excited about the soccer. Actually the whole of Melbourne have been soccer-mad. Not really sure what the fuss is about if you ask me. I think about how psycho-obsessed these fans are…about sport…yet Christians come to church and sit there like the preacher is talking to them about how to grow grass. And it frustrates me.

I’m sorry. But I’m not forcing anyone to believe anything, everyone has free will, BUT…if you ARE Christian and have CHOSEN Christ to be Lord of your life – then you have no excuse but to be completely passionate about it. IT IS your life. The REASON we are on this planet – to tell this earth of what He did for us and why. THIS is why I am not freaked out when people are jumping up, dancing, throwing bibles, laughing and screaming their lungs out in the middle of the sermons at Shakers…Christianity is NOT about religion and rules, it’s about being passionate about what Jesus did for us – getting CONSTANT revelation of what this means, and living and breathing it every second of this life.

Sorry, but complacent “Sunday” Christians make me a little irritated. If you believe in something believe it all the way, otherwise, what’s the point.

So yeah, feeling pretty reflective at the moment…just about life, refueling old friendships and focusing on what I am here to do – life is short ☺ Ps Mike preached an awesome word at Internship this morning…on expectation…spoke to me so clearly, God can only give us what He’s got for us if we are expecting it. So my mind is about to explode with dreams of the future at the moment. HA. Can't wait.

So slurpies and picket fences it is at the moment…


Ok. This has been an intensely long blog. Apologies…

This one goes out to you Brian.

Stir it up.

9 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

that was a major post but a great one. good to see pix of your life over there, and i can't believe it's so cold over there as it's sweat'in buckets over here.

pray for janice and her team as she's in thai-burma border going crazy for jesus and ministering to the refugees.

thanks and blessings nazza.. you ROCK! keep stirring.

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you Nat but still your post is too long! I took a few breaks haha=) You look gorgeous girl, must be the good stuff you arer taking in every day at the shakers!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Tom Read said...

Hi Nat, great post...great to see what is going on in your life. Jacinta and I miss you loads. We'll be in Sydney in 2 weeks...wanna come up for the weekend? ;)

12:39 AM  
Blogger Sounds Of Wood said...

Yo Boxy! Missed doing cool gigs wit cha but glad that your on the right path. Hope you have a good time with Anna G!

2:47 AM  
Blogger Nat said...

I want all you Honkers peeps to come in Anna's suitcase ok!!! Tom I'm looking into flights...;)

5:27 PM  
Blogger HeidiHeidiJoy said...

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been waiting for you to post. Wondering what the heck you were up to girlfriend. SO glad to hear ALL of it. Loved your post. Your "picket fences & bike rides & Slurpy" comment reminded me of my summer here in the USA. It's exactly the same here...totally 180 from HK! Love you tons. Glad you're well. GOD BLESS you even more...

1:59 PM  
Blogger Jane Perry said...

Nazza Bozza… here’s hoping I can give you a little more of an insight into the phenomenon that is World Cup Soccer…

LOVED (and totally agreed with) your comments pertaining to belief… if you truly believe in something, be passionate about it, and REALLY believe in it. To many (collectively, one of the largest psychographics in the WORLD) Soccer is their religious conviction and they are (as you put it) passionately “psycho obsessed”.

Obviously there’s the whole fanatical side to Soccer supporters that (naturally) I have issues with but… the following will (hopefully) allow you to appreciate the sheer magnitude of the great game that (up until my Swedish partner came into my life) I previously didn’t come close t comprehending.

I love this…

This is an article by UN Sec. Gen. Kofi Annan (I did email this around to a few peoples so apologies if you’ve already received it).

“As the pinnacle of the only truly global game, played in every country by every race and religion, it is one of the few phenomena as universal as the United Nations.”

“You could even say it's more universal given the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) has 207 members while the UN has 191. “

“In the World Cup series, everyone knows where his team stands and how it got there, he said, adding: “I wish we had more of that sort of competition in the family of nations. Countries openly vying for the best standing in the table of respect for human rights, and trying to outdo one another in child survival rates or enrolment in secondary education. States parading their performance for all the world to see. Governments being held accountable for what actions led them to that result.”

In cafés from Beijing to Buenos Aires, Mr. Annan said, “everyone debates the finer points of their team’s game, not to mention the other side’s play, expressing themselves on the subject with as much clarity as passion.”

“I wish we had we had more of that sort of conversation in the world at large. Citizens consumed by the topic of how their country could do better on the Human Development Index, or in reducing the number of carbon emissions or new HIV infections,” he wrote.

Meanwhile, he said, “the migration of coaches and players between countries brings new ways of thinking and playing, benefiting both host and home countries. “

“I wish it were equally plain for all to see that human migration in general can create triple wins – for migrants, for their countries of origin, and for the societies that receive them; that migrants not only build better lives for themselves and their families, but are also agents of development – economic, social, and cultural – in the countries they go and work in, and in the homelands they inspire through new-won ideas and know-how when they return,” said Mr. Annan.

“Perhaps the most enviable World Cup quality to the United Nations is that it stages events in which goals are reached”, he noted.

“I’m not talking only about the goals a country scores; I also mean the most important goal of all – being there, part of the family of nations and peoples, celebrating our common humanity,” Mr. Annan said. “I’ll try to remember that when Ghana plays Italy in Hanover on 12 June. Of course, I can’t promise I’ll succeed.”


I LOVE Annan’s comment; “part of the family of nations and peoples, celebrating our common humanity”.

Seeing the Aussies play at this years World Cup was such a patriotic moment for me. Sitting in a bar in KL watching Malaysians cheer on non-Malaysian teams, and being surrounded by screaming Brits, Aussies, Italians, French, Swedish, Danish, American, etc etc. It was the first time I experienced such universal comradeship (even more so than being in Sydney during the 2000 Olympics – really!).

Am I allowed to post a comment as long as this? Sorry… HA! Hope you enjoyed!

Jxx

6:15 PM  
Blogger Gabrielle Lee said...

Hey girly!!! Miss you much!! REPLY MY EMAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hehe...lovya!

11:51 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

glad you got the dvd nat.....didn't think you got it or watched it, after I didn't hear back. any waves?

1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home